Saturday, March 29, 2014

How Will Eight Turn Into Four?

Much like everyone else in America, my bracket is shot.  I swore to myself this would be the year I'd win the many different pools I entered but like an all-you-can-eat buffet located next to a Jenny Craig in a strip mall, I had no chance.

The NCAA Tournament is now down to eight teams, all of which will play tonight and tomorrow night for the right to go to Dallas for next weekend's Final Four.  Even if you're out of your pool, you can pick these games right and tell people with kind of a straight face that you picked the Final Four correctly if you listen to my advice.

Let's break it down by region.

SOUTH

Who is playing: Florida v. Dayton

Who I picked: Florida v. Kansas

Who will win: Florida

Who I picked to win: Florida

Thoughts: The Gators were the pre-tournament favorite and have done nothing in their first three games to make anyone worry about picking them.  Billy Donovan's club will be the enemy tonight - how can anyone not like the story of Archie Miller's Dayton team - but they will be cutting down the nets and moving on to Dallas.

West

Who is playing: Arizona v. Wisconsin

Who I picked: Creighton v. Oklahoma State

Who will win: Wisconsin

Who I picked to win: Creighton

Thoughts: I have always been a fan of Bo Ryan's teams at Wisconsin and I expect them to set the pace early and grind the Wildcats down on their way to their first Final Four since 2000.  If you're not sold on my prediction, read this article on Ryan and the Final Four and then tell me you're not pulling for Bucky Badger to win tonight.

East

Who is playing: Michigan State v. Connecticut

Who I picked: Michigan State v. Iowa State

Who will win: Michigan State

Who I picked to win: Iowa State

Thoughts: I still believe Iowa State would have won this regional if Georges Niang had not broken his foot but with the Cyclones out of it, I think that Tom Izzo's team - which is finally healthy after an up-and-down season - is too much for UConn.  Playing a relative home game at Madison Square Garden will keep UConn close but Michigan State will be too much for them in the end.

Midwest

Who is playing: Michigan v. Kentucky

Who I picked: Michigan v. Louisville

Who will win: Kentucky

Who I picked to win: Louisville

Thoughts: John Beilein is another one of my favorite coaches and after losing Trey Burke and Tim Hardaway Jr. to the NBA and then lost Mitch McGary to a back injury early this year, he should be a favorite for National Coach of the Year for winning the Big 10 regular season championship and getting his team as far as the Elite Eight.  The problem for Michigan is that Kentucky's group of highly touted freshmen and sophomores are finally figuring things out and coming together as a team and that will get them back to the Final Four for the 16th time in school history.

While we're here, let's predict how my updated Final Four prediction will play out next weekend.

Florida v. Michigan State - The Gators will gain revenge for their loss in the 2000 national championship game to the Spartans and advance to the championship game for the first time since winning its second straight title in 2007.

Wisconsin v. Kentucky - John Calipari's squad will struggle early against the veteran Badgers but their talent will win out in the end.

Florida v. Kentucky - The Gators swept the regular season series against Kentucky and got them again in the SEC Tournament championship game and will beat them for a fourth time for Donovan's third national championship at Florida.

No comments: