Friday, June 29, 2012

So, How Successful Was My Mock Draft?

Here is a breakdown of last night's NBA Draft.  If you didn't see my third mock, click here.

1. New Orleans Hornets - Anthony Davis, PF, Kentucky
Yes, I predicted Davis to the Hornets.  Of course, so did everyone else.  Davis should be a great NBA player.

2. Charlotte Bobcats - Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, SF, Kentucky
I went with Thomas Robinson of Kansas with this pick.  MKG is going to be an excellent professional based on what we saw of him at Kentucky last year.

3. Washington Wizards - Bradley Beal, SG, Florida
I nailed the Beal pick and pairing his shooting with John Wall should work well for the Wizards.

4. Cleveland Cavaliers - Dion Waters, SG, Syracuse
I had Andre Drummond at this spot.  Waters didn't start for Syracuse (Big East 6th Man of the Year) but he's good enough to go fourth in the draft?  Eh, enjoy this pick Cavs fans.

5. Sacramento Kings - Thomas Robinson, PF, Kansas
I did not think Robinson would drop this far, he's a good player who will help the Kings.

6. Portland Trailblazers - Damian Lillard, PG, Weber State
I predicted Lillard to Portland which makes me 3-for-6 so far.

7. Golden State Warriors - Harrison Barnes, SF, North Carolina
That's back-to-back picks for the Insider!

8. Toronto Raptors - Terrence Ross, SG, Washington
This is where I thought Waters would end up. 

9. Detroit Pistons - Andre Drummond, C, Connecticut
I have a feeling that Pistons fans will like this pick a lot more than they would have liked Meyers Leonard, who I predicted would end up here.

10. New Orleans Hornets - Austin Rivers, SG, Duke
Make that five of the first ten picks that I correctly predicted.

11. Portland Trailblazers - Meyers Leonard, C, Illinois
Lucky for Tyler Zeller that I was wrong in thinking he was heading to Portland because now his knees won't give out before Christmas.

12. Houston Rockets - Jeremy Lamb, SG, Connecticut
I thought this was John Henson's future home.  I was wrong.

13. Phoenix Suns - Kendall Marshall, PG, North Carolina
I did not think the Suns would draft a possible Steve Nash replacement but now that they have, will they use Nash in a sign-and-trade to upgrade their roster?

14. Milwaukee Bucks - John Henson, PF, North Carolina
This is where I thought Terrence Ross would land.

15. Philadelphia 76ers - Moe Harkless, SF, St. John's
After watching the Sixers against the Celtics in the playoffs I thought they needed either a shooter or a big man and that's why I predicted Arnett Moultrie, a good shooting big man.  Well, they got neither in Harkless but he had a very good freshman year at St. John's and could make Andre Iguodala expendable.

16. Houston Rockets - Royce White, PF/SF, Iowa State
I was completely sold on White falling to the Celtics.  This pick hurt a little bit.

17. Dallas Mavericks - Tyler Zeller, C, North Carolina (pick traded to Cleveland)
Zeller did not have a stellar college career but his athleticism and skill should make him a good NBA player.  Nice trade by the Cavs to add him to their young core.

18. Houston Rockets - Terrence Jones, PF, Kentucky
I thought Jones would become a Maverick.  Nice draft for the Rockets, they added three very talented young players.

19. Orlando Magic - Andrew Nicholson, PF, St. Bonaventure
I'm glad I was wrong with predicting Jared Sullinger would go to the Magic because after Royce White went to Houston, I wanted the C's to draft Sullinger.

20. Denver Nuggets - Evan Fournier, SG, France
This is where I thought Kensdall Marshall would fall to.

21. Boston Celtics - Jared Sullinger, PF, Ohio State
I have high hopes for Sullinger in a Celtics uniform.

22. Boston Celtics - Fab Melo, C, Syracuse
I thought Harkless might reach the Celtics.  Melo does give the Celtics much needed size but I'm a little surprised Danny Ainge did not take Baylor's Perry Jones III here.

23. Atlanta Hawks - John Jenkins, SG, Vanderbilt
I have not successfully predicted a pick since Austin Rivers went to the Hornets.  I guess ESPN.com and SI.com can stop their bidding war to buy TheBostonInsider.

24. Cleveland Cavaliers - Jared Cunningham, SG, Oregon State (pick traded to Dallas)
Not looking like I'm getting another pick right at this point.

25. Memphis Grizzlies - Tony Wroten, Jr., PG, Washington
Success!  Looks like I'm having a better night at this point than Perry Jones III, who is still available.

26. Indiana Pacers - Miles Plumlee, C, Duke
I wonder if Tyler Hansbrough likes this pick?

27. Miami Heat - Arnett Moultrie, PF, Mississippi State (pick traded to Philadelphia)
I originally predicted Moultrie going to Philly with the 15th pick so I'm giving myself half a point on this one.

28. Oklahoma City Thunder - Perry Jones III, PF, Baylor
This is a place where Jones can shine because with Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, and James Harden on board he does not need to carry the load.  Could be an excellent pick for OKC.

29. Chicago Bulls - Marquis Teague, PG, Kentucky
I didn't think Teague would fall this far but he's an excellent pick for Chicago with Derrick Rose coming off of a torn ACL.

30. Golden State Warriors - Festus Ezeli, C, Vanderbilt
Come on Golden State, you couldn't have taken Draymond Green to help me out?

By my math, I hit 6.5 picks out of 30 for a whopping success rate of 21.7%.  I'm sad to say that's better than I expected.

No comments: